The Wayne Township Fire Department wants to remind citizens that “open burning” which includes the burning of anything outside can lead to health and environmental risks if done improperly.
When the air is stagnant, open burning creates a smoke and odor nuisance to nearby neighbors. Also, it adversely affects the health-based air quality standards for Marion County as set by the U.S. EPA under the Clean Air act.
In addition to residential requirements listed in this document, commercial properties (i.e. businesses) are not allowed to open burn for disposal or any other reason.
Please consult city and/or county offices, and local weather stations to confirm that open burning is allowed during seasonal dry periods.
If you observe burning that you feel does not meet the criteria in this document, you may report the violation to the Wayne Township Fire Department by calling our non-emergency line at (317) 246-6200 and follow the prompts for the Fire Prevention Division.
Permissible burning hours
Permissible burning hours inside the jurisdiction of the Wayne Township Fire Department for yard waste are from dawn to dusk, and all fires must be attended by a competent person of at least 18 years of age at all times.
By law, no person shall cause, suffer, allow or permit the emission into the atmosphere of any substance or combination of substances from the burning of wood products was allowed therein in such quantities auto cause annoyance or constitute a nuisance so as to interfere with the health and well-being of any individual in his or her home or place of employment or recreation or as to interfere with the normal use and enjoyment of any such place.
Materials Illegal to Burn
- Leaves and Grass Clippings
- Stumps and Land Clearing Waste
- Waste Lumber and Furniture
- Household Garbage and Dead Animals
- Tires and Wiring
- Asbestos and Hazardous Materials
Other Types of Permitted Open Burning
- Cooking Fires, Barbecue Grills
- Campfires, Patio Fire Pits
- Personal Comfort Fires
- Ceremonial Bonfires (conducted by established groups, such as schools, churches, scouts, etc.)
Build a Burn Barrel to Legally Burn Twigs, Limbs and Branches that Originate From Your Property
Burn barrels must be used to dispose of limbs and branches from your property. The elements of a burn barrel that meets the requirements of open burning regulations in Wayne Township are:
- Heavy metal barrel, free of large holes in the bottom or sides
- Ventilating mesh screen with openings no greater than 1/4 inch in size
- Ventholes near bottom edge to promote clean burning and low smoke
- At least 15 feet away form buildings, trees or any other combustible construction
- The fire must be monitored at all times by a competent adult wit ha form extinguishment near the site of the fire. This can be an extinguisher or garden hose