FAQ Page

This page is dedicated to answering some of the most common questions asked of the fire department. There is a contact form at the bottom of the page you can use to ask questions not covered in this list.

Question: When there is only a small fire, why do so many fire engines respond?

A “Standard Response Plan” is utilized on all responses. The system is a pre-designated formula that determines the amount and type of equipment sent to the incident. If these units are not needed, they are released by the Incident Commander.

Question: How do I create an escape plan for my home or business?

The four basic steps in creating an escape plan for your home includes: drawing a map of your home; agreeing on a meeting place; practicing your escape plan; and making sure your drill is realistic.

Question: How should I plan for a disabled family member during a fire?

Assure that you have a well defined escape plan. Make sure that people who are confined to a wheelchair have immediate access to their wheelchair when an emergency occurs.

Question: What kind of fire extinguisher should I buy for my home?

Homeowners should buy an extinguisher that can handle Class A-B-C fires. This type of extinguisher is designed to extinguish fires that usually occur in homes.

Question: Do I need to put a smoke detector in every room? How many do I need?

Smoke detectors should be placed outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. On floors without bedrooms, detectors should be installed in or near living areas. Remember to test smoke detectors regularly.

Question: Why am I not supposed to drive over a fire hose?

Firefighters are very concerned about running over firehoses because the hose can be damaged and any firefighter at the end of a nozzle will have the water supply interrupted and possibly cause injuries or even death. Any hose that is driven over without protection has to be taken out of service immediately until it can be tested.

Question: Can you get my cat out of a tree?

The Fire Department does not assist in rescuing animals. Citizens may contact Animal Control. The telephone number is (317) 327-1397.

Question: What if I smell gas in my home?

You will need to get out of the house and then call 911 from outside of the house or from a neighbor’s house.

Question: What should I do when I see or hear an emergency vehicle coming towards me while I am driving?

When it is safe to do so, you should pull to the right and stop until all emergency vehicles have passed.

Question: How often should I change the batteries in my smoke detectors?

We recommend you change the batteries in your smoke detectors every 6 months. An easy way to remember is to change batteries when you reset your clocks for daylight savings time.

Question: How do I sign up for CPR class?

The "CPR Classes & Certification" page of the Wayne Township Fire Department website contains information on signing up for a CPR class.

Question: How much does it cost to have a fire truck respond to my home for an emergency?

Fire engines and ladder trucks are supported by taxpayer revenues and there is no charge for these pieces of equipment.

Question: Can I have a recreational fire in my backyard?

The regulations regarding recreational fires are laid out in the Open Burning Law. You can view the Open Burning Law by clicking this link.

Question: How can I get a job as firefighter?

Fire departments post hiring information through advertisements in local media and most often on the department’s web page. The hiring process is lengthy containing many different steps to complete.

Question: How do I arrange a fire station tour or have someone come speak to our group?

You can contact our Public Education Division either through email on our contact page or by calling (317) 246-3237 during business hours.

Question: Where can I get fire extinguishers refilled?

Wayne Township Fire Department does not service or refill fire extinguishers. Look in the Yellow Pages under “fire equipment” to locate companies that do.

Question: Where can I report a leaking or damaged fire hydrant?

Indianapolis Water Company can be contacted at (317) 631-1431

Question: How can I file a complaint about Wayne Township Fire Department personnel?

Complaints can be made via email at pubinfo@waynetwp.org, by telephone at (317) 246-6200, or in person at fire headquarters. An address is located on the "Contact Us" page.

Question: Where can I report suspicious arson activity?

If you have reason to believe that a person is setting or has just set a fire, call 911 immediately. Be prepared to describe the suspect, including physical features and clothing. If you have information regarding a recent fire that is under investigation, please call (317) 246-6200 and follow the prompts for the Fire Prevention Division.  You can also email information to pubinfo@waynefire.org

Question: What steps should I take for a child with fire playing behavior?

Children who play with fire place themselves, their families, and their neighborhoods at risk. Contact the Fire Prevention Division at (317) 246-6200, and follow the prompts or email information to pubinfo@waynefire.org

Question: Why is my smoke alarm making a funny noise?

If it is sounding a loud alarm it is because it senses the presence of smoke. Check your home thoroughly. If you smell smoke and are unable to locate a fire call 911. If you do not smell smoke, the detector could be reacting to dust, steam. If the detector is chirping, thumping, or buzzing, it probably means the battery is low. Replace the battery as soon as possible. Without a working battery, a smoke detector can not do its job.

Question: Can I have a recreational fire in my backyard?

To see the Open Burning Regulations, click on this link

Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On Instagram